Kimallock Mart will host its first-ever virtual sale today (Monday, April 27th).
Lots can be viewed in the mart from 10:00am-11:00am with the live sale due to follow at 11:00am.
It is expected that other marts, which are part of GVM Group, will announce details of their virtual sales shortly. These include Tullamore Mart; Carrigallen Mart; and Abbeyfeale Mart.
Sales are being conducted in accordance with HSE and DAFM protocols and guidelines.
How does it work? (More information on Kilmallock Mart virtual sale)
- All animals are checked into the mart and issued lot numbers and put in pens as normal;
- Lots can be view prior before the sale begins (only a certain amount of people at a time);
- A catalogue list of all lots available for sale on the day is compiled;
- Animals are weighed and enter the sales ring as normal;
- All relevant information (data is imported from AIM, ICBF and Bord Bia) relating to the animal is displayed on a virtual mart board;
- Sellers issue the mart with a reserve price they want for the lots at check-in and it is entered in the system;
- An auctioneer manages the ring as normal, calling out the bids as they come in online – bidders and sellers can see bids as they are made;
- The whole system is in real-time with almost zero delay;
- Buyers arrange to come to the mart to collect their purchases.