Kilkenny Mart report – calf prices – 09-03-2021
Some 700 calves went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Tuesday, March 9th, according to George Candler.
The mart’s auctioneer reported a larger entry than the previous week, with a “good” trade for continental and traditional (Aberdeen Angus and Hereford) entries.
“The fact exporters were not operating impacted the trade for the lesser-type Friesian bull calf. Some Friesian calves could have done with more whole milk and more time to mature.”
Summary: Calf prices Kilkenny Mart 09-03-2021:
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €70-€210/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €10-€70/head;
- Continental bulls – €220-€440/head;
- Continental heifers – €170-€350/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €120-€330/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €80-€300/head;
- Friesian heifers – €220-€270/head.
Kilkenny Mart report – calf sale – 02-03-2021
Some 600 lots were presented for sale at Kilkenny Mart on Tuesday, March 2nd, according to Candler.
He reported an “excellent” trade with a 99% clearance of lots.
“Exporters are becoming more active, but looking for calves over 2-weeks-old with good conformation.”
“Small, young calves need more milk and age to make them more attractive to buyers.” he added.
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €70-€200/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €10-€50/head;
- Continental bulls – €200-€410/head;
- Continental heifers – €150-€475/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €130-€340/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €120-€305/head.
Kilkenny Mart report – sheep prices – 08-03-2021:
Some 300 lots went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Tuesday, March 9th, according to George Candler.
The mart’s auctioneer reported “another exceptionally good trade for both hoggets/lambs with the €170 mark achieved on a number of occasions”.
- Butcher lambs – €2.90-€3.29/kg or €148-€170/head:
- Factory lambs – €2.90-€3.28/kg or €124-€156/head:
- Cull ewes – €85-€167/head.
- Address: Kilkenny Co-Operative Livestock Market LTD, Cillin Hill, Dublin Road, Co. Kilkenny
- Contact details: [email protected] or phone: 056-7721407 or see the mart’s website.
Upcoming sales (online-only due to Covid-19 restrictions):
- Sheep sale – Mondays at 10 am with dairy sale at 12 pm
- Calf sale – Tuesdays at 11 am.
- Cattle sale – Thursday – Cows at 10 am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30 am.
Mart reports – cattle and sheep prices:
See more mart reports.