Kilkenny Mart – Sheep Prices – 03-05-2022
The mart’s auctioneer reported a “good, solid” trade for all sheep at its weekly sale.
He explained that cull ewes sold for up to €193/head while butcher lambs topped out at €171/head.
Candler confirmed that both the sheep and dairy sales saw a 100% clearance rate.
Kilkenny Mart 03-05-2022
Butcher lamb prices
- 10 46kgs – €162/head – €3.52/kg
- 16 45kgs – €171/head – €3.80/kg;
- 30 44kgs – €163/head – €3.70/kg;
- 10 43kgs – €153/head – €3.56/kg.
- Cast ewe prices: €105-€193/head.
- In-calf cows – €900-€1,340/head;
- Freshly-calved Friesian cows and heifers – €1,000-€1,900/head;
- Maiden Friesian heifers (300-365kgs) – €620-€800/head.
Last week’s sheep prices
The mart’s auctioneer reported that cull ewes witnessed the biggest decrease compared to the past few weeks.
Spring lambs sold to €170, while hoggets topped out at €175 and cull ewes topped out at €226/head.
He explained that some 500 lots went under the hammer at this sheep sale.
- Butcher hoggets – €2.35-€3.15/kg or €155-€175/head;
- Spring lambs – €3.30/kg-€3.85/kg or €148-€170/head;
- Cast ewes – €80-€226/head.
The mart’s auctioneer reported that an increased number of beef and forward store bullocks.
Speaking following the sale, Candler said:
“Another good yard of cattle with forward stores selling very well. The fact that over 20 lots broke the €2,000 barrier speaks for itself.”
“The slight increase in grass growth is helping the lighter store trade Cull cows recorded a 100% clearance with no Friesian cow selling less than €1.38/kg. Meanwhile, continental cows sold to €2.75/kg,” Candler added.
Kilkenny Mart information:
- Address: Kilkenny Co-Operative Livestock Market LTD, Cillin Hill, Dublin Road, Co. Kilkenny
- Contact details: [email protected] or phone: 056-7721407 or see the mart’s website.
- Sheep and calf sale – Mondays at 10 am with a dairy sale at 12 pm
- Cattle sale – Thursday – Cows at 10 am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30 am.
Mart reports – cattle and sheep prices:
See more mart reports.
To share your story, email – [email protected]