A food expert, who held a Michelin star for twelve years and has cooked for the Queen, has revealed his secrets to cooking sausages correctly.
In an interview with the Daily Star Online, Jeff Baker shared three commonly made mistakes and some of his top tips.
1. Remove the sausage from the chiller 20 minutes before cooking – He explained that this helps prevent the skin from splitting when heated and helps the sausage to cook evenly.
2. Use a pan – He recommend a heavy-based, non-stick frying pan which is placed on a low to medium heat;
3. A teaspoon of duck or goose fat – Add this to the pan and swirl around until the base is fully coated – remove any excess fat;
4. Ensure the sausages are not touching each other and are kept on a constant heat – turning them regularly for a rich, golden colour and cook traditional thick sausages for 10-12 minutes.
5. Rest before serving – Gives a tender, juicy flavour.