Hilux GR SPORT
The new Hilux GR SPORT will roll out of garages across Europe in summer 2022.
The machine – which is the “new pinnacle” of the Hilux pick-up range – is inspired by Toyota Gazoo Racing’s success in the “gruelling” Dakar Rally.
The new machine boasts, what Toyota claims it engineered for even better performance, responsiveness, and control, with a suite of new, dedicated suspensions features.
These enhancements aim to deliver an “even more” rewarding driving experience, with increased control, grip feel and responsiveness.
In brief, some of its features include:
- Uncompromised performance;
- Exclusive GR-themed exterior and interior design features;
- New, larger front fog light surrounds;
- 17-inch alloy wheels have a contrast black and machined finish and have all-terrain tyres.
- Toyota carries the black theme through in the door mirror casings, side steps, over-fenders and tailgate handle;
- New sports front seats in a combination of black leather and synthetic suede with red perforations and contrast stitching;
- Paddle controls for manual shift selection and aluminium sports pedals;
- Equipment specifications are based on the High-grade Hilux. Can include LED headlights and combination lamps, smart entry and push-button start, dual-zone air conditioning, Downhill Assist Control, and an automatic limited-slip differential;
- Impressive performance with 3.5-tonne towing capacity and one-tonne payload;
- A powerful 2.8-litre engine with 204 DIN hp and 500 Nm of torque. Matched to a six-speed automatic transmission;
- Noise and vibration countermeasures.
According to Toyota, the vehicle’s world-famous “go anywhere” off-road capabilities have reached new heights, aided by an automatic limited-slip differential and Active Traction Control.
It says that the key feature in the upgraded suspension system are new monotube shock absorbers and new front springs.
The monotube design creates a larger piston area to give better damping performance, with faster response and better heat dissipation.
Also, it helps maintain the performance quality of the oil inside the unit when driving in tough conditions.
The front coil springs have been stiffened. Toyota has painted its new shocks red to make a “stand-out statement” of the Hilux GR SPORT’s special character.
These changes are in addition to suspension upgrades previously introduced for the new Hilux, including retuned rear leaf springs and new bushes.
The result, Toyota said, is confidence-inspiring reliability in demanding driving conditions.
A spokesperson said: “Compared to the standard Hilux, these changes deliver significant improvements in handling characteristics. This includes steering effort and steering angle response, straight-line performance, a flat ride and reassuring roll and rear grip feel.”
“The new set-up also contributes significantly to ride comfort, with fast response to high-frequency vibrations and increased damping capability to control body movement and eliminate shock.”
“The Hilux GR SPORT is designed to capture the attention of customers whose active lifestyles go well beyond the every day, giving them an ideal vehicle for adventurous journeys and sporting pursuits.”
“The GR SPORT also benefits from the significant advances already introduced in the new Hilux, delivering the “best driving experience yet,” the spokesperson concluded.
Other articles on That’s Farming: