The Irish Hereford Breed Society will hold an online pedigree bull sale at GVM Kilmallock on Thursday, May 28 at 1pm in accordance with HSE & Government guidelines.
Speaking to That’s Farming, a society spokesperson explained: “Due to Covid-19 restrictions and Government guidelines, it was with great regret that we cancelled our annual spring show & sales including the premier show and sale in Tullamore, Kilmallock and two sales in Nenagh.”
“However, this was in the best interest of all breeders, society staff & customers. After much research into the various alternative options, we are deciding to hold an online sale.”
“This will not be a conventional sale and there are rules and restrictions that need to be adhered to in order to run the sale.”
Rules and restrictions
- There will be no parading, showing, washing or grooming of bulls permitted;
- Bulls will be unloaded by seller at a designated time slot between 8:30am and 10:00am. The seller must then leave the mart;
- Buyers will be able to view the bulls for sale between 11:00am and 12:30pm by appointment ONLY. All customers must contact GVM Kilmallock on 063 98555 to make appointments;
- After their appointed viewing time – all buyers must leave the mart;
- Bidding will be carried out online via the GVM Group website or LSL Livestock-live website at 1pm. All buyers must register with GVM Kilmallock in advance of the sale or when booking their time slot for viewing. All breeders wishing to view the sale online only will also have to register with GVM Kilmallock;
- Reserve bids can be placed on bulls by seller in advance of sale or the mart staff will contact sellers after the sale to agree prices & sales.
Maximum of 30 entries
“There is a maximum of 30 bulls allowed entry into the sale in the interest of health and safety of breeders, customers & mart staff.”
“The same sale entry rules apply as though a normal sale although alternative arrangements were made for breeders to submit entries for the sale in keeping with the HSE & Government guidelines – only entries submitted vie email or phone were accepted.”
ICBF figures and information on each bull will be displayed in the sales catalogue and will be signposted on each pen with the bulls.
The catalogue is available online at www.irishhereford.com or from GVM Kilmallock. Full up-to-date figures are also available on the ICBF website through the bull search function.
“The society understands this is a difficult time for breeders and acknowledges this is not an ideal situation for breeders selling bulls but it is a positive move in the right direction and will hopefully benefit breeders and generate sales across the board.”
“There was huge demand for this sale and so, if it is successful, the society has plans to run a second sale very soon again.”
The IHBS Office is currently closed temporarily since the Covid-19 Restrictions were imposed but staff members are working remotely, at a limited capacity.
All queries and questions regarding the sale or otherwise can be e-mailed to – [email protected].