Headford Mart report – cattle prices – 28-08-2021
- Bullocks ranged from €1.47 to €2.95 per kg or €255 to €1085 over the kg at Headford Mart on 28-08-2021. Top price over the kg – a LMX – 725kg – €1810 – €2.50/kg (lot 15B). Top price per kg – a LMX – 455kg – €1340 – €2.95/kg, (lot 3X);
- Heifers sold from €1.92 to €2.83 per kg or €380 to €1100 over the kg. Top price over kg and per kg – a CHX – 600kg – €1700- €2.83/kg (lot 38C);
- Cull cows went under the hammer from €970 to €2100 for an 8-year-old Lmx, 895kg (lot 49H).
- Cow & calf pairings pushed from €1000 to €2000 (lot 53) for a 7-year-old LMX cow with Feb-born CHX heifer calf at foot.
Headford Mart 28-08-2021: Sheep:
- Culls traded from €62 to €156;
- Breeders peaked at €150;
- Hoggets changed hands from €110 to €220;
- Lambs ranged from €89 to €161 or €2.17 to €3.28 per kg
- 51.5kg – €161 – €3.13/kg – (Lot S7A);
- 39kg – €128 – €3.28/kg – (Lot S21A);
- 38.5kg – €125 – €3.25/kg – (Lot S4A) – EL;
- 44kg – €140 – €3.18/kg – (Lot S21);
- 43kg – €136 – €3.16/kg – (Lot S27);
- 38kg – €120 – €3.16/kg – (Lot S30A) – EL.
- September 3rd – Charolais Weanling Show & Sale (John Reilly memorial cup) (2021-born)
- Friday, September 10th – Limousin and Belgian Blue Show & Sale (2021 born)
- Saturday, September 18th – Annual autumn cattle show & sale
Headford Mart cancelled last Friday’s weanling sale.
The Galway-based mart did not hold the sale as a mark of respect for its former chairman, Christy O’Connor. The mart paid tribute to O’Connor, one of its founders.
Headford Mart information
- Address: Headford Co-Op Mart LTD, Balrickard, Headford, Co. Galway, Eircode: H91K7TH
- Contact details: 093-35572 or 093-35551
- Sale day: Saturdays – cattle sale at 11:00 am, sheep sale at 10:00 am – both of which can be accessed online with LSL (Livestock Live). A face covering must be worn on the mart premises.
- Note: Weanling sale every Friday evening until mid-November. Booking is highly advisable for Friday and Saturday sales.
A spokesperson for the mart said:
“We are still under Covid restrictions and limited to ringside buyers. A reminder that children are not permitted on the premises during these restrictions.”
“All cattle presented in the mart must have two tags. All sheep must have two tags; the factory tag will not surpass.”
You can read more mart reports on That’s Farming.