A 500-strong suckler cow herd defied the beef gloom on Friday night (October 2nd) when one of its December-2019-born commercial heifers sold for €4,100 or €12.81/kg at Carnaross Mart.
Buyers gathered ringside under strict Covid-19 restrictions, while others availed of LSL’s online bidding facility for Tateetra and Rathmore Farms’ second annual sale, which saw 152 heifers go under the hammer.
As expected by several in the suckler farming circles, the sale-topper came in the form of Rumour, a daughter of EBY and the €5,000 Wilodge Joskins daughter that farm manager, John Kingham, purchased at Martin O’Connor’s sale last year.
Weighing 320kgs, the hammer fell at €4,100 for the roan-coloured breeding female, following brisk bidding activity from an opening bid of €2,000. The purchaser of the highest-priced female received €500.
Following the sale, the farm confirmed that all entries offered for sale found new homes with an average just shy of €1,350, respectively.
- AAX – 8 heifers – €1,083 – €2.46/kg;
- BBX – 1 heifer – €1,620 – €4.70/kg;
- CHX – 12 heifers – €1,125 – €3.38/kg;
- LMX – 85 heifers – €1,342 – €3.94/kg;
- SHX – 21 heifers – €1,431 – €3.84/kg;
- SIX – 25 heifers – €1,301 – €3.56/kg.
- 1 heifer over €4,000 (LMX)
- 5 heifers – €3000 – €4000 (X2 LMX and X3 SHX);
- 10 heifers – €2000- €3000 (X9 LMX and X1 SIX)’
- Haltered heifers achieved an average of €2,146 – €5.80/kg;
- 2019-born heifers averaged €1432 – €3.70/kg;
- 2020-born heifers averaged €1,171 – €3.78/kg.
Speaking following the sale, the farm said: “We would like to thank everyone who helped, called with best wishes and came to see our stock.”
“To Carnaross Mart & staff for a 2nd to none-professional service. To our families who gave their time & patience and put up with us for the last few weeks.”
“To our crew here at Tateetra who put many hours into training and getting the heifers ready and to the extended crew on Friday, including family & friends, who worked so hard to have all 152 heifers looking so well.”
“To our purchasers and all those who bid on our heifers, we thank you and wish you all the best. Many of you were returning customers and we were delighted to see you back again.”