According to a spokesperson for Cootehill Livestock Mart, an electrical fire turned one of its rostrums “into cinders” last week.
On Tuesday evening (October 19th), a fire broke out in ring two, ahead of its cattle sale the following day.
Fire at Cootehill Mart
In a brief statement on October 20th, 2021, a spokesperson for the mart said:
“Due to a major incident in ring two, today’s mart will be completely held in ring one,
“We apologise for any inconvenience, but unfortunately, this is out of our control. No one was hurt, thankfully.” the spokesperson added.
In a further statement on social media on October 22nd, a mart spokesperson said:
“In 36 hours, the completely fire destroyed auctioneer’s box was totally rebuilt from the ground up.”
“On Tuesday evening, we had an electrical fire that turned our ring two rostrum into cinders.
“It was very much touch and go, but the rostrum is in full swing this evening for the weekly weanling sale.”
“We have a seriously big thank you to the people who worked night and day tirelessly to have the rostrum ready for today.”
The mart thanked Samuel Thompson & the Mountview Engineering team, Padraig Brady Electrical Hugh McNern in LSL, Thomas Farrell, Annaghlee and Carroll TV.
Continuing, the spokesperson said: “And last but not least, the mart staff who helped clean and got everything ready in such a short time frame.”
“Also, a thank you to Thomas Smith, a handyman, who was willing to drop everything and help us get back and going. A wonderful team of people and we are so grateful for your amazing help,” the spokesperson concluded.
The mart re-opened under new management earlier this year.
The Cavan-based sheep and cattle mart draws customers from Cavan, Monaghan, Meath and further afield.
The premises, now named Cootehill Livestock Mart, was under Jimmy and Carmel O’Reilly’s management for seven years.
The Drury family is now leasing the premises on a ten-year basis.