Over 300 entries turned out for Kilkenny Mart’s tender cattle sale on Thursday (April 30th), according to George Candler.
“Farmers appear to be reluctant to avail of the tender system which is hard to fathom why because prices were excellent for all continental stores, both bullocks and heifers, with a top call of €2.77/kg.”
“Even forward store continental bullocks were in demand with quality lots ranging from €2.25-€2.40/kg. with their heifer counterparts to €2.30/kg.”
Traditional breeds, Aberdeen-Angus and Herefords, saw the majority sell from €1.80-€2.10/kg.
“The increased interest for cull cows continued with Friesian peaking at €1.45/kg and continentals to a top of €1.75/kg. Friesian bullocks saw prices range from €1.45-€2.07/kg.”
“This format will continue unless we get clearance from the Department to open our auction system under strict criteria.” Candler added.
- 600kgs – €1.65-€2.25/kg or €860-€1,340/head;
- 500-600kgs – €1.70-€2.40/kg or €880-€1,320/head;
- 400-500kg – €1.65-€2.40/kg or €680-€1,135/head;
- <400kg – €1.50-€2.80/kg or €480-€1,005/head.
- Beef-types – €1.85-€2.10/kg or €980-€1,405/head;
- Forward-stores – €1.80-€2.20/kg or €850-€1,205/head;
- Light stores – €1.75-€2.50/kg or €580-€900/head.
- Friesians – €1.25-€1.45/kg;
- Continentals – €1.40-€1.76/kg.