Seán Doorley, drystock advisor with Teagasc, and Seán McMahon, Walsh Fellow Student Longford have compiled a pre-calving checklist, containing essential items for calving 2020.
“Safety is paramount at calving time – a cow after calving is one of the most dangerous animals on the farm,” warned Doorley.
- Calving jack – ensure it is in good working order;
- Two sets of calving jack ropes;
- Two stomach tube feeders – ensure they are working properly;
- Arm-length disposable gloves and lubricant gel;
- Iodine – navel treatment;
- Calcium for milk fever;
- Good-quality colostrum
- Bottle and teat;
- Calf feeder;
- Calving cameras;
- Infrared lamps;
- Calving sensors;
- Calving gate.
With the Spring calving season upon us Seán Doorley and Seán McMahon go through a Pre-calving checklist outlining the essentials needed on the farm before that first cow calves. pic.twitter.com/QB1qPlBRg3
— Teagasc Roscommon/Longford (@TeagascRNLD) January 27, 2020