The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine has vacancies for technical agricultural officers (TAO) nationwide.
TAOs are employed by the DAFM to carry out various functions related to services and schemes operated by the department in addition to operating controls relating to animal welfare, public health, animal health and EU payment schemes, according to the job listing.
Some of the duties of a TAO could involve:
- Interacting with the public/customers on schemes and services;
- Supervision and/or monitoring of activities of food business operators and a range of meat plants and ensuring compliance with all regulations;
- Various on-farm controls and business premises checks required under national and EU legislation;
- Dealing with animal welfare, public health and animal health (including disease control) in line with legislative requirements; and
- A range of other duties like crop evaluation, certification duties, poultry and eggs, and pesticide control.
Hold a Leaving Certificate or a qualification that is acceptable to PAS as being of an equivalent or higher academic standard (other than any qualification submitted to meet the technical educational requirements noted below) and:
A. Hold an advanced certificate in agriculture at level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications, or:
B. Hold a qualification in agriculture at level 7 or higher on the National Framework of Qualifications, or:
C. Hold a qualification at level 6 or higher in an area such as horticulture, plant health, animal health, animal welfare or food safety that is acceptable to the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine as being relevant to the role of Technical Agricultural Officer.
In addition, the subject matter of such qualification must include significant content relating to either animal husbandry or crop production, the listing added.
- Knowledge of Irish agriculture and agri-industry;
- Knowledge of regulatory/control systems;
- Knowledge of public health and food safety;
- Good computer skills;
- Possess a current full clean driving licence (Category B) and/or access to a car.
The salary scale for this position, with effect from January 1st, 2020, is as follows: €24,712.00, €26,070.00, €26,954.00, €28,444.00, €29,934.00, €31,123.00, €32,404.00, €33,525.00, €34,953.00, €36,389.00, €37,832.00, €39,273.00, €40,718.00, €42,118.00, €44,010.00 (NMAX), €45,450.00 (LSI1), €46,883.00 (LSI2)
How to apply
During the application process, candidates will be requested up to two locations where they would be willing to be headquartered, with this list available here.
Applications must be made online through – https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/ – before the closing date for receipt of completed applications which is 3pm on August 20th, 2020.
For more information, please click here.