Things people do not tell you about dating a vet
That’s Farming’s humourous take on things people do not tell you about dating a vet:
- You become their unofficial vet assistant, especially for on-call mid-week nights and weekends
- Your washing machine will be on overdrive – scrubs or no scrubs!
- You get to know their clients as well as they do;
- You are on a first-name basis with their work colleagues – fellow vets, vet nurses, support staff, office administrators and sales reps;
- Weekends away after often replaced by weekends on call – particuarly during the throws of lambing and calving season;
- There is no clocking out at 5 pm/6 pm – especially when on-call;
- They work long, difficult and unpredictable hours –people in demand!
- You become familiar with every piece of equipment and their function, from scalpel blades to catheters – you also know where they are stored in the jeep/van;
- You will find more needle caps than coins in your washing machine;
- You are responsible for charging headlights and clippers’ batteries;
- You spend more time trying to tidy their jeep/van than the entire house;
- They cannot go to the local shop or restaurant without meeting a client;
- Time-keeping can be a challenge – they always try their best to turn up for date nights, but it may not be at the time you have arranged;
- You must become a pro tea, coffee and sandwich maker;
- No matter how strong the air fresher is, their work vehicle will smell like animals!
Other articles on That’s Farming:
Things people do not tell you about becoming a sheep farmer
In our most recent article, as part of our things people do not tellyou about series, we looked at a light-hearted take on what people do not tell you about becoming a sheep farmer:
- Sheep are not for the faint-hearted;
- They will always find a way to die no matter what (despite your best efforts);
- They will find the smallest gap/opening/loophole in a fence to escape;
- You have to become best friends with your neighbours – farmers and non-farmers, anyone with a garden or farm. You will have enemies when you have sheep,
Read more on this article.