Kilkenny Mart Report – Sheep Sale – February 8th, 2021
Some 300 lots were offered for sale at Kilkenny Mart on Monday, February 9th, according to George Candler, who reported that cull ewe prices reached €134/head.
The mart’s auctioneer reported that entries climbed to a top call of €149 for 65kg lots.
“A sharper trade-all-round. Dairy animals still commanding excellent prices with a top call of €2,260 for a freshly-calved Friesian heifer. The fact that freshly calved animals averaged €1,880 is an indication of the buoyant trade this sector is experiencing at the moment.”
Butcher lambs – €2.25/kg to €2.75/kg or €138-€149/head:
- X8 65kg – €149;
- X7 60kgs – €148;
- X20 55kgs – €146;
- X8 53kgs – €140;
- X10 52kgs – €143;
- X8 50kgs – €143.
Factory lambs – €2.75/kg to €2.84/kg or €118-€136/head:
- X12 48kgs – €136;
- X6 47kgs – €132;
- X8 46kgs – €45kgs – €126;
- X10 44kgs – €125;
- X7 43kgs – €120.
- Cast ewes – €60-€134/head.
Some 450 entries went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart at its sheep sale on Monday, February 1st.
George Candler, the mart’s auctioneer, reported that a somewhat larger entry met a “solid” trade. He noted that lambs/hoggets reached €151, while cull ewes peaked at €130/head and in-lamb lots realised €220/head.
Butcher lambs – €2.65-€2.87/kg or €128-€151/head:
- X15 57kgs – €151;
- X8 49kgs – €139;
- X10 47kgs – €135;
- X12 55kgs – €149;
- X21 51kgs – €139
- X15 56kgs – €151.
Factory lambs – €2.70-€2.85/kg or €110-€131/head:
- X10 46kgs – €131;
- X8 44kgs – €125;
- X7 43kg – €120;
- X10 42kgs – €117;
- X8 39kgs – €111;
- X10 42kgs – €117.
- Cull ewe prices – €70-€130/head;
- In-lamb ewes – €180-€220/head.
“An excellent dairy sale of 110 head, including an entire herd of 65 pedigree Friesian cows and heifers, resulted in a 100% clearance with the €2,000 barrier broken on 21 occasions,” Candler noted.
Freshly calved Friesian cows and heifers – €1,000-€1,880/head with an average price of €1168/head.
- Address: Kilkenny Co-Operative Livestock Market LTD, Cillin Hill, Dublin Road, Co. Kilkenny
- Contact details: [email protected] or phone: 056-7721407 or see the mart’s website.
Upcoming sales (online-only due to Covid-19 restrictions):
- Sheep sale – Mondays at 10am with dairy sale at 12pm
- Calf sale – Tuesday, February 16th at 11am.
- Cattle sales – Thursday – Cows at 10am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30am.
See more mart reports from around Ireland.