In excess of 100 customers attended Kilkenny Mart’s tender cattle sale on Thursday (April 23rd), according to George Candler.
The mart’s auctioneer reported a firmer trade for the 300 cattle on offer. “Cull cows increased by €20-€40/kg, with Friesian bullocks peaking at €1.80/kg.
“There was also more interest in forward-store bullocks and heifers with a lot of top-quality Limousin bullocks.”
He pointed out that Aberdeen-Angus entries were also in demand with a top call of €2.07/kg for AA bullocks, while heifers realised €2.00/kg.
- 600kgs+ – €1.60-€2.10/kg or €960-€1,410/head;
- 500-600kgs – €1.85-€2.50/kg or €1,020-€1,300/head;
- 400-500kgs – €1.75-€2.25/kg or €880-€1,020/head;
- <400kgs – €1.60-€2.50/kg or €500-€920/head.
- Beef-types – €1.90-€2.25/kg or €980-€1,685/head;
- Forward-stores – €1.80-€2.37/kg or €880-€1,070/head;
- Light stores – €1.70-€2.35/kg or €580-€820/head.
- Friesians – €1.15-€1.35/kg;
- Continentals – €1.35-€1.75/kg.