Cootehill Mart – sheep prices – 18-11-2021
According to Geoffrey Drury, of Cootehill Livestock Mart, trade was “simply electric” at the mart’s sheep sale on Thursday, November 18th, 2021.
The mart manager reported that factory-fit lambs “stole the show”.
In a statement to That’s Farming, he said:
“Over 1,100 sheep were on show in 124 lots, which was similar to last week.”
“Store lambs still holding exceptionally strong with most making €3.50-€4/kg typically for the nicer, quality-type lamb.”
“There was definitely a noticeably heavier-type store lamb on show more so than the long keep store.”
Cootehill Mart 18-11-2021:
Store lambs 20-30kgs:
- 6 lambs at 28kgs making €109 or €3.89/kg;
- 3 lambs at 21kgs making €80 or €3.75/kg;
- 8 lambs at 27kgs making €100 or €3.70/kg;
- 4 lambs at 25kgs making €94 or €3.69/kg;
- 12 lambs at 29kgs making €100 or €3.49/kg.
Store lambs 31kgs+:
- 8 lambs at 40kgs making €158 or €3.95/kg;
- 13 lambs at 31kgs making €116 or €3.75/kg;
- 6 lambs at 33kgs making €122 or €3.59/kg;
- 15 lambs at 34kgs making €120 or €3.54/kg;
- 5 lambs at 33kgs making €116 or €3.54/kg;
- 5 lambs at 32kgs making €113 or €3.53/kg.
Factory & butcher lambs
- 19 lambs at 41kgs making €144 or €3.49/kg;
- 4 lambs at 42kgs making €143 or €3.40/kg;
- 4 lambs at 39 kgs making €132 or €3.38/kg;
- 6 lambs at 47kgs making €158 or €3.34/kg;
- 2 lambs at 51 kgs making €170 or €3.33/kg;
- 1 lamb at 48kgs making €160 or €3.33/kg;
- 4 lambs at 41.5kgs making €138 or €3.33/kg;
- 6 lambs at 41kgs making €136 or €3.29/kg;
- 5 lambs at 44kgs making €144 or €3.27/kg.
- Cull ewes: €77 – €188
- Ram lambs: €166 – €320
Previous week’s sheep prices:
He reported that the mart witnessed “was by far, the strongest trade in store lambs and fat lambs we have had all year”.
“A number of store lamb lots smashed the €4/kg barrier,” he remarked.
Drury reported that its weekly sheep sale attracted some 1,102 sheep (126 lots in total), with a 98% clearance.
About the mart:
The mart re-opened under new management earlier this year.
The Cavan-based sheep and cattle mart draws customers from Cavan, Monaghan, Meath and further afield.
The premises, now named Cootehill Livestock Mart, was under Jimmy and Carmel O’Reilly’s management for seven years.
The Drury family is now leasing the premises on a ten-year basis.
- Address: Station Road, Cootehill, Co Cavan;
- Contact details: Phone: 0495555362;
- Sales days: Sheep and cattle sales weekly. Sales online via LSL Auctions.
View other mart reports.
Contact our editorial team, by emailing – firstname.lastname@example.org