Saturday, December 9, 2023
9.4 C
HomeFarming News5 cleaning products that may put your pet in danger
Reading Time: 3 minutes

5 cleaning products that may put your pet in danger

December is here, and with the festive season approaching, many of us will be making Christmas plans.

But before the festive fun comes a lot of preparation: in fact, it is estimated that the average adult will clean for 43 minutes a day over the festive season, whilst preparing and cleaning up after guests.

With 62% of households in the UK now owning a pet, however, how do our household cleaning products affect our furry friends?

Intrigued to find out, End of Tenancy Cleaning sought to find out which household cleaning items can be the most harmful to your pets.

Ivan Ivanov, spokesperson for End of Tenancy Cleaning, discusses some common cleaning habits that may put your pet in danger:

  1. Bleach

Bleach can be a strong and useful cleaning tool, especially when cleaning items such as toilets and sinks.

- Advertisement -

However, it is reported that this product can lead to numerous health issues for your pet if they come into contact with it.

Moreover, it is reported that bleach can result in a gastrointestinal tract injury if ingested by pets, as well as severe lesions and skin irritation.

  1. Oven Cleaners

This may seem like an essential for the Christmas season with the amount of cooking that we do, but oven cleaners are far from kind to your furry friends.

Splashes from oven cleaner products can result in injury to the eyes, skin and mouth.

If ingested, it can also cause stomach problems, ulceration, chemical burns, and difficulty swallowing or breathing for your pet.

  1. Floor Cleaners

With our homes becoming so hectic at Christmas, cleaning the floor will no doubt become more frequent.

However, these cleaners often contain ammonium, which is highly toxic when inhaled or ingested.

It can cause irritation to their skin and eyes for your furry friend, and has the capability to burn their nose, throat and stomach if licked or ingested.

  1. Dishwasher Tablets

Although dishwasher tablets can make cleaning our piles of dishes less difficult and more efficient, they have the potential to make our pets very unwell.

Dishwasher pods may be small, but are much more potent due to their concentrated formula.

They contain chemicals such as simple bleaches, which if ingested, can reportedly cause your pet to vomit foam.

  1. Laundry Detergents

We all want our best Christmas outfits and jumpers clean and fresh, but what can the detergents we use do to our pet companions?

If our pets come into contact with these chemicals, they may suffer from burns and irritations, as well as gastrointestinal problems and lethargy if ingested.

It is important to be cautious, as some chemicals in laundry detergents are highly concentrated and can even remain on fabrics after washing.

Part two of this article with follow with tips for pet owners.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular