Saturday, February 1st saw some 1,300 head go under the hammer at Carnew Mart’s 39th annual show and sale of heifers and cows, according to David Quinn.
The manager noted that exceptional quality beef and store cattle were on offer, with “outstanding” demand reported across all types. “The trade was brisk with large attention from feedlots, Northern Ireland and export customers.”
The overall champion came in the form of a 778kg entry, which topped out at €2,000.
The best butcher heifer, which weighed 620Kg, sold for €1780, while the best cow, which weighed 940Kg, fetched €2,250. The sale-topping heifer came in the form of a 516kg Limousin – she made €2,220 [main image].
- Factory heifers – €700 to €1000 over or €2.00-€2.50/kg;
- Butcher heifers – €550 to €900 over or €2.10-€2.85/kg;
- Store heifers – €230 to €300 over.
- Continental cows – €1.60-€2.00/kg;
- Friesian cows – €1.30-€1.50/kg.
Image source: Carnew Mart Facebook