Kilkenny Mart – calf prices – 22-02-2022
The mart’s auctioneer reported that prices ranged from €10-€350/head at its weekly calf sale.
Speaking following the sale, he said:
“A bigger sale of calves this week, with continental-types plus Hereford and Angus-crosses selling very well.”
“Smaller Friesian bulls were difficult to sell, but Friesians with size and good conformation ranged from €140-€250/head,” Candler said.
Kilkenny Mart 22-02-2022:
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €80-€250/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €10-€60/head;
- Continental bulls – €250-€525/head;
- Continental heifers – €200-€395/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €180-€375/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €150-€350/head.
Last week’s cattle sale:
According to George Candler, some 850 cattle turned out for Kilkenny Mart’s cattle sale on Thursday, February 17th, 2022.
The mart’s auctioneer reported that entries breached the €3.00/kg on “numerous occasions” at the general weekly cattle sale.
Following the sale, the said: “A similar sized-sale to last week with the trade best described as sizzling.”
“The top call in the bullock sector was for 5 Limousins 395kgs at €1360 which equates to €3.45/kg.”
“Beef bullocks peaked at €2,300. The cull cow trade is also experiencing elevated prices with a floor price for Friesians being €1.27/kg.
“Continental types, on the other hand, sold to €2.65/kg. Lastly, beef heifers peaked at €1,960 for a 660kg Charolais,” Candler added.
- Bullocks 600kgs+: €2.02-€3.25/kg or €1,380-€2,300/head;
- 500-600kgs – €2.03-€3.23/kg or €1,050-€1,840/head;
- 400-500kgs – €1.80-€3.03/kg or €780-€1,390/head;
- <400kgs – €1.70-€3.45/kg or €580-€1,360/head;
- Beef heifers – €2.20-€3.14/kg or €1,350-€1,960/head;
- Forward store heifers – €2.00-€3.05/kg or €1,350-€1,960/head;
- Light store heifers – €1.90-€3.06/kg or €500-€1,100/head;
- Friesian cull cows – €1.27-€2.15/kg;
- Continental cull cows – €1.50-€2.65/kg.
Kilkenny Mart information:
- Address: Kilkenny Co-Operative Livestock Market LTD, Cillin Hill, Dublin Road, Co. Kilkenny
- Contact details: [email protected] or phone: 056-7721407 or see the mart’s website.
- Sheep and calf sale – Mondays at 10 am with a dairy sale at 12 pm
- Cattle sale – Thursday – Cows at 10 am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30 am.
Mart reports – cattle and sheep prices:
See more mart reports.