Thursday, July 16th saw just over 900 cattle go under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart, according to George Candler.
The mart’s auctioneer reported a solid trade for quality types with a top call of €2.85/kg recorded for continental bullocks, while cull cows peaked at €2.33/kg.
“Plainer cattle were a bit easier with buyers being more selective.” Candler explained.
- 600kgs+ – €1.60-€2.35/kg or €1,020-€1,650/head;
- 500-600kgs – €1.50-€2.46/kg or €750-€1,370/head;
- 400-500kgs – €1.50-€2.85/kg or €600-€1,280/head;
- <400kgs – €1.60-€2.60/kg or €580-€950/head.
- Beef-types – €1.80-€2.30/kg or €1,050-€1,660/head;
- Forward stores – €1.70-€2.30/kg or €850-€1,150/head;
- Light stores – €1.55-€3.33/kg or €650-€1,200/head.
- Friesians – €1.08-€1.60/kg;
- Continentals – €1.35-€2.33/kg.