Prices reached record highs at the Borris Ewe Breeders’ Association’s 58th annual show and sale last weekend.
The annual event – which was held on Saturday, August 14th at Borris Mart, Co. Carlow – showcases the Borris ewe – a cross between a Cheviot ewe and Suffolk ram.
According to a spokesperson for the association, hogget ewes hit €450/head at this year’s sale, while ewe lambs topped out at €240/head.
They told That’s Farming: “Borris ewe breeders are on cloud nine after a record-breaking sale.”
“Customers from the four corners of Ireland almost cleared a yard full of top quality stock. Generally, trade was very lively with prices from €100 up to €240.”
“And best of all, the rain stayed away until auctioneer, John Maher, sold the last pen of ewes,” the spokesperson added.
- 1st: Sean Ryan, Tomduff: 44kg – €170;
- 2nd: Jim Lennon, Ballytiglea: 49kg – €185;
- 3rd: Padraig Joyce, Knockroe: 52kg – €192
- 4th: Michael Kealy, Knock: 42.5kg – €170;
- 5th: Walter Cummins, Knocmore: 46.5kg – €240.
- 29kg – €120;
- 5kg – €120;
- 5kg – €150;
- 5kg – €160;
- 5kg – €175;
- 44kg – €170;
- 53kg – €182.
- Prize winners from €285 – €450
- Overall prices ranged from €190 -€450 with most lots making from €240 – €290.
- 1st: Tomàs McCarthy, Knocksquire – €450;
- 2nd: Jim McCarthy, Knocksquire – €390;
- 3rd: Martin Hayden, Coolroe – €305;
- 4th: Larry Farrell, Kiltealy – €285;
- 5th: Remmi Dalton, Ballinvalley – €320.
& 3-year-old ewes – Entries from €170-€215
- 1st: Niamh Hennessy, Rathbawn – €170
- 2nd: Tommy Kinsella, Kilcumney – €215
“A big thank you to management and staff at Leinster Marts. Thank you to our judges, all our very kind sponsors and our main sponsor, St Canices, Credit Union.”
“Thank you to all the committee of the Borris Ewe Breeders’ Association who are involved in the smooth running of this sale. Also, we would like to thank everyone for following Covid-19 guidelines and wearing masks.”
“We look forward to seeing you all at our second sale on Saturday, August 28th, 2021,” the spokesperson concluded.
View more on its Facebook page.