The 2022 Belgian Beltex Breeders’ Sheep Society in-lamb show and sale capped off what has been a “great” year for the society as the breed continues to grow from strength to strength.
That is according to a spokesperson for the society, who reported that the sale at Tullamore Mart saw a “great” demand for the breed.
The included consignments of stock from breeders across the country with bloodlines from “the best the breed has to offer”.
Renowned sheep breeder, Mr. Declan Miley, from Knockcroghery, Co. Roscommon, officiate as judge on the day.
His chosen champion and reserve champions commanded the highest prices on the evening.
Declan commented that “this was a super female sale and that the stock presented were superb”.
Mr. Miley awarded the overall champion silverware to Jack O’Brien’s first prized shearling ewe, Aileach View Goldielocks.
The sheep, sired by Matt’s Ferrari, and scanned carrying a single to Ardstewert Geronimol, later sold for the top price of €1300 to Amy Ryan from Shrule, Co. Mayo.
The reserve champion rosette on the day was first placed ewe lamb, Sheephaven Helen ET, from Declan Robinson Co. Donegal.
The ewe lamb by Buckles Fizzy Pop, later sold in the ring for €1,100 to Brian Mathews, Co. Offaly.
John and Dudley Maher had success in the aged ewe category, with Ballinakill Everything taking first prize.
Sired by Broughton Pound Stretcher and scanned in-lamb to Boherawillin Bascule, she fell at €800 to Jimmy Burke, Co. Mayo.
Full show results are as follows :
- Champion: Hogget Ewe: Lot 19 Aileach View Goldielocks – Jack O’ Brien
- Reserve Champion: Ewe Lamb: Lot 68: Sheephaven Helen ET – Declan Robinson
- Aileach View Goldielocks – Jack O’Brien;
- Sheephaven Grace – Declan Robinson;
- Ballinakill Gillian – John and Dudley Maher;
- Castlemeadow Genesis – Michael Lynch;
- Aileach View Guilty for Gucci – Jack O’Brien;
- Ballinakill Grace – John and Dudley Maher.
- Ballinakill Everything – John and Dudley Maher;
- Sheephaven Flash – Declan Robinson;
- Aughduff Flora – Alan Cuddy;
- Ballinakill Darlina – John and Dudley Maher;
- Hillview Flora – Michael Lynch;
- Cloneycavan Fawn – Stephanie and Hugh O’Connor.
- Sheephaven Helen ET – Declan Robinson;
- Quarrymount Harvest Moon – Brian Mathews;
- Lisnacrann Honeysuckle – Michael and Niamh Oliver;
- Quarrymount Heaven Sent – Brian Mathews;
- Lisnacrann Hettie – Michael and Niamh Oliver;
- Hillview Honey – Dermot Goss.
The spokesperson added that sale that followed saw a “phenomenal” clearance of the females forward selling to a top price of €1300.
They noted that there was “lots of interest from new breeders, which resulted in a very high clearance rate for all females”.
“The sale featured a number of buyers that are new breeders. This was another highlight of the Beltex Society this year.”
“It was a fantastic indication of the continued growing interest and awareness of the Beltex breed, and it bodes well for 2023 and the future.”
Hogget ewes saw a staggering average of €689, which is an increase on last year’s sale average.
The spokesperson understands this to be a record average for an official Irish Belgian Beltex Breeders Society Sale in Ireland.
Beltex sheep prices
Other notable sale prices included Quarrymount Harvest Moon from Brian Mathews, who fetched €800 and was purchased by Pat O Neill Co. Cork.
Lots 16 and 18 from Jack O’Brien’s Aileach View flock sold to €820 and €720 and was purchased by Tom Feehan, Co. Mayo and Pat O’Malley, Co. Galway, respectively.
Lots 31 and 32 from Alan and Sean Cuddy’s Aughduff flock sold for €750 and €760 to Laois farmers, Jason Bourke and Patrick Hogan, respectively.
Lot 36 from John and Dudley Maher also made €850 and now heads to Ed and Sheena McCarthy, Co. Cork.
Images: Lauren Payne Photography