Farmers can avail of the option of implementing a vaccination for respiratory diseases in suckler calves for respiratory diseases under BEEP.
This optional welfare action carries a payment rate of €30/calf weighed to a maximum of 100 calves.
Applicants will be required to complete a record showing the commencement of the administration of vaccination to calves.
The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) outlined that vaccination purchase receipts or any prescriptions must be retained on-farm and made available for inspection.
It stressed that veterinary advice should be sought for a suitable vaccination programme where the attending vet has specific knowledge of the farm. “Vaccinations help reduce the probability of disease but cannot solely be depended upon for prevention.”
The management system, pre-weaning and post-weaning, will assist the successful outcomes of a bovine respiratory disease vaccination programme.”
It is advised that all applicants should consult with their veterinary surgeon for the most suitable vaccination programme for their specific farm.
|Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)||Live intranasal (IN) Live intramuscular (IM) Dead subcutaneous (SC)||Pathogen in weanlings 6-12 months of age|
|Parainfluenza-3 (PI-3) virus||Live intranasal (IN) Live intramuscular (IM) Dead subcutaneous SC)|
|Bovine herpesvirus type 1 (BoHV-1) virus (Infectious bovine rhinotracheitis IBR)||Live intranasal (IN) Live intramuscular (IM) (Inactivated subcutaneous; SC)||BoHV-1 also present in weanlings diagnosed with BRD|
|Mannhaemia haemolytica||Dead sub-cutaneous (SC)|
Applicants must choose one of the following vaccination protocols, the DAFM outlined:
Option 1. (if there is a short time before risk period or if cattle can only be handled once):
- Single RSV and Pi3 Intranasal 2 to 4 weeks before weaning/housing/sale;
- At the same time, a single (or 2 dose program) IBR live intra-muscular injection (2 to 4 weeks before weaning/housing/sale).
Option 2. (if there is more time before risk period or a broader coverage including bacteria is required):
- First subcutaneous injection of RSV, Pi3 and Mannhaemia haemolytica dead, 6 to 8 weeks before weaning/housing/sale;
- Second subcutaneous injection of RSV, Pi3 and Mannhaemia haemolytica dead, 2 to 4-weeks before weaning/housing/sale;
- At the same time as the second injection, a Single IBR live intra-muscular, 2 to 4 weeks before weaning/housing/sale.
- The procedures in both options must be completed in full and are equally applicable to both spring and autumn-born calves.
Alternatively, participants can opt to implement a pre-weaning meal feeding, as reported by us here.
Terms and conditions of the programme are available here. Applications must be made online and the application window will remain open May 15th, 2020.