Factory prices for beef have remained largely unchanged this week, with a base price for steers of €3.60/kg while the heifer base price stood at €3.60-€3.65/kg.
In the same period, cows earned €2.80-€3.30/kg and R/U grade young bulls made €3.60/kg.
Reports suggest that some factories have been paying 5c/kg more than the quoted price, while the in-spec bonus stands at 20c/kg for cattle under 30 months and 8c/kg for 30-36 months.
A 12c/kg bonus was paid for steers and heifers under 30 months grading O- with a fat class of 4+ while also meeting all other in-spec criteria.
National beef kill
The national beef kill, for the week commencing June 1st, rose to 32,325 (including 44 calves), according to the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine’s database.
- Young bulls: 2,868;
- Bulls: 469;
- Steers: 11,029;
- Cows: 8,201;
- Heifers: 9,714.
- Week commencing May 25th – 31,070 (including 21 calves);
- Week commencing May 18th – 34,366 (including 44 calves);
- Week commencing May 11th – 26,991 (including 74 calves);
- Week commencing May 4th – 25,947 (including 413 calves);
- Week commencing April 27th – 25,964 (including 309 calves);
- Week commencing April 20th – 25,602 calves (including 473 calves);
- Week commencing April 13th – 25,225 (including 739 calves);
- Week commencing April 6th – 27,124 (including 418 calves);
- Week commencing March 30th – 30,731 (including 1427);
- Week commencing March 23rd – 35,607 (including 2,834 calves);
- Week commencing March 16th – 37,898 (including 3,434 calves);
- Week commencing March 9th – 38,957 (including 3,277 calves).