Aurivo Ballinrobe Mart – Cattle Prices – 31-05-2023
According to Niamh Joyce of Aurivo Ballinrobe Mart, this week’s spell of weather “brought a wave of hot trade” to the Mayo-based venue for its final cattle sale of May.
Bullocks were “the headliners”, with prices topping €1790 for a 610kg LMX bullock, which stood €2.93/kg.
Other sample prices
- LMX – 505kg – €1700 or €3.37/kg;
- BBX – 565kg – €1710 or €3.03/kg;
- LMX – 510kg – €1690 or €3.31/kg;
- CHX – 435kg – €1480 or €3.40/kg;
- LMX – 400kg – €1360 or €3.40/kg.
Weanling bull prices
Weanling bulls “followed suit” with cracking prices for the few but quality stock on show, the spokesperson noted.
Top of the town in this ring was a 240kg CH Bull weanling at €1060 or €4.42/per kg for a Dunmore farmer.
Weanling bull prices:
- CH – 280kg – €1170 or €4.18/kg;
- CHX – 285kg – €980 or €3.44/kg;
- LMX – 365kg – €1200 or €3.29/kg;
- LMX – 490kg – €1350 or €2.76/kg.
Cull cows pushed from €900 up to €1940 a head, with a €1500 average across the board.
Top of the price table was €1940 or €2.69 for a 7-year-old, 720kg LMX cow.
Cows with calves at foot were “plentiful” this week, ranging from €1220 up to €2000 in price.
The top price of €2000 went to an 11-year-old CHX Cow from a Headford farmer with twin LMX heifer calves at foot.
Heifers, in Joyce’s words, “remained a moving trade,” with averages up slightly on last week.
Heifers over 500 kg averaged €3.11/kg, and even lighter lots of 300kg plus levelled at €3.09/kg.
The top-priced heifer on the day was a 640kg, LMX at €1940 or €3.03 per kg from a Claremorris farmer.
- LMX – 520kg – €1670 or €3.21/kg;
- LMX – 435kg – €1390 or €3.27/kg;
- CHX – 350kg – €1350 or € 3.86/kg;
- LMX – 325kg – €1140 or €3.51/kg;
- LMX – 235kg – €890 or €3.79/kg.
Read a report from the previous week’s sale.
- Address: Aurivo Ballinrobe Mart, Claremorris Road, Ballinrobe, Co Mayo
- Sales: Weekly cattle sales on Wednesday at 11 am (subject to seasonal change) and weekly sheep sales on Thursdays
- Note: Pre-booking every Thursday and Friday from 9 am-1 pm for cattle sales.
- Contact details: Telephone: 094-9541140.
View more mart reports on That’s Farming.
Find more videos on That’s Farming’s YouTube channel via this link.
More videos on That’s Farming’s Facebook page.
Read more news from farming journalist, Catherina Cunnane