Balla Mart report – weanling prices – 07-09-2021
According to Stephen Hannon, prices topped out at €2,190 at Balla Mart’s weanling show and sale on Tuesday, September 7th, 2021.
The mart manager reported that some 500 bulls and 200 heifers went under the hammer.
Speaking following its opening weanling sale, Hannon said:
“A great sale with plenty of buying for both good quality and lesser types around the ring and online. The average price was up by €125 on last year.”
Balla Mart weanling prices
“Light bull weanlings 200kg to 350kg averaged €2.81/kg. 300kg+ quality lots made over the €3.00/kg.”
Bulls 350kg to 450kg averaged €2.64/kg, while 450kg+ averaged €2.63/kg. Belgian Blues over 400+ met with “a great trade” from export buyers and generally averaged €3.30-€3.60/kg.
“One Belgian-Blue-cross bull weighing 425kg made €1,480 or €3.48/kg. A heavier 485kg Belgian Blue-cross bull made €1,610 sold by a farmer from Kilvine – Irishtown who had some smashing Belgian Blue bulls.”
The spokesperson reported that approximately 200 heifers were on offer, and those up to 350 kg averaged €2.96/kg.
They outlined that heifer weanlings 350kg to 450kg averaged €2.93/kg. The sale topper, a 400kg Charolais-cross, fetched €2,190.00, and she was presented for sale by a Creggs, Balla farmer.
Weanling show and sale results:
Class 1: Best Charolais bull calf – Sponsor: Edward Kelly Plant Hire
- 1st: John Howley, Curry, Sligo;
- 2nd: Tom McNicholas, Bushfield, Kiltimagh, Co Mayo.
Class 2: Best Charolais heifer calf – Sponsor: TJ Heneghan (MRCVS)
- 1st and 2nd: Dermot and Grace Mullaney, Creggs, Balla, Co Mayo
Class 3: Best Limousin bull calf: Sponsor: Michael Maloney & Assoc.
- 1st: Ml McKeown, Ballyvary
- 2nd: Paddy Keane, Clogher, Westport, Co Mayo
Class 4: Best Limousin heifer calf – Sponsor: Mayo Abbey Co-op
- 1st and 2nd: Pat Connolly, Lehinch, Hollymount, Co Mayo
- Class 5: Best Belgian Blue bull calf – Sponosr: McEillins of Manulla
- 1st and 2nd: Richard Jennings, Newbrook, Claremorris, Co Mayo
Class 6: Best Belgian Blue heifer calf – Sponsor: Kieran Flatley, Kilkelly, Co Mayo
- 1st: Pat Connolly, Lehinch, Hollymount, Co Mayo
Class 7: Best Simmental bull calf – Sponsor: Irish Simmental Cattle Society
- 1st and 2nd: Declan Oats, Castlegal, Co Sligo.
Champion – Sponsor: Raymond Clarke (auctioneer)
- Michael McKeown, Ballyvary, Castlebar, Co Mayo
Balla Mart information:
- Address: Aurivo Balla Mart, Carrowntober, Oughter, Co. Mayo
- Contact information: Phone: 094-9365068 or see Aurivo’s website.
- Sale days: Weanlings: Tuesdays. Bullocks, heifers, cull cows, sucklers, and stock bulls on Saturdays with rings as follows:
- 1: Bullocks at 10:30 am Saturday ringside and online.
- 2: Heifers at 10:30 am Saturday ringside and online
- 3: Dry Cows/breeding bulls & springers at 10:45 am/11 am ringside and online.
Tuesday weanling sales:
- Ring 1: Bull weanlings at 10:30 am Tuesday ringside and online.
- Ring 2: Heifer weanlings at 10:45 am Tuesday ringside and online.
- Intake time 07:00 am to 09:30 am on Saturdays. 08:00 am to 09:30 am on Tuesdays.
Read more mart reports (cattle and sheep prices) on That’s Farming.
To share your story, photos and/or videos, email – [email protected]