85 bulls and 24 heifers will come under the hammer at the Irish Limousin Cattle Society’s upcoming autumn premier show and sale.
The society’s event will occur in the Roscommon-based mart on Friday, November 12th, 2021, and Saturday, November 13th, 2021.
Showing of bulls takes place this Friday evening from 6.00 pm with the female showing on Saturday morning at 9.30 am. The sale of bulls and heifers will commence at noon.
Autumn Limousin sale
In a statement to That’s Farming, a spokesperson for the Irish Limousin Cattle Society said:
“The bulls represent the very best in the Limousin breed; high-value genetics and high health status.”
“With over 50 different sires to choose from, this sale will have a bull to suit every system.”
“Whether it’s easy calving, high maternal or a proper heavily muscled bull to produce sale-topping weanlings, the bull you require will be in Elphin,” they added.
The spokesperson highlighted that some of the “leading” French, British and Irish AI sires are represented at this sale.
- Kaprico Eravelle;
- Tomschoice Lexicon;
- Derrygullinane Kingbull;
- Edenvale Ivor;
- Keltic Handsome;
- Ampertaine Gigolo;
“23 females are catalogued; 19 of whom are 4 or 5-star for replacement index.”
“17 different sires are represented in the heifer entry, including Bavardage, Cameos, Lodge Hamlet and EBY to name just some,”
“These heifers offer an opportunity for new or established breeders to acquire some of the best bloodlines in the Limousin breed.”
The spokesperson highlighted some of the breed’s desirable traits:
- Farmers trust in Limousin genetics to breed quality cattle with optimum calving ease;
- Over 1/2 the bulls in Elphin are easier than breed average for calving, with some as low as 1.3%;
- Also, over 90% of the bulls on offer are 5-star terminal/maternal or both.
- Over 35% of the bulls are 5-star for milk in the top 10% of the Limousin breed. “These bulls will breed you exceptional females that will add value to your suckler enterprise.”
- 70 of the 85 bulls on offer are 5-star for carcass weight. “This means they will breed cattle that grow and put the scales down the day you sell their progeny.”
- Also, 70 of the bulls catalogued are 5-star for carcass conformation. “These bulls will add valuable carcass quality and muscling to their offspring.”
“All in all, there is a large selection of high genetic merit Limousin bulls in Elphin offering easy calving, growth shape and excellent maternal traits.”
All bulls at the Limousin sale at Elphin Mart are:
- From herds that participate in CHeCS-accredited Jones herd testing;
- Fertility tested from high-health status herds;
- Sold under the society’s fertility guarantee scheme;
- Export tested => available for immediate export to NI. Free transport to central locations in NI.
Catalogue and viewing
Report to follow after this sale.