The Irish Hereford Breed Society and Irish Hereford Prime have launched their 2021 annual Hereford photo competition.
Once again this year, the competition carries a prize fund of over €2,000.
This year brings one additional category, meaning that there are now seven categories, including a video category open to entrants.
2021 Hereford photo competition:
How to enter
Each entrant may submit a maximum of two photos per category. A caption must accompany each photo entry.
You can upload competition photos and entry details via a link on the irishhereford.com or irishherefordprime.com websites.
Categories for competition;
- Showtime Pedigree Hereford animals standing for a photo as if at a show – all cows, heifers, bulls, calves accepted. (Please choose a suitable background).
- Cheeky Chappies – Pedigree or crossbred Hereford calves – must be under six months of age.
- Here come the girls – Pedigree Hereford cows or heifers – with or without calves and with or without a stock bull.
- The Boss – Hereford stock bull on his own or with a herd of dairy cows or suckler cows with or without calves.
- The HEX Factor – Hereford-cross heifers or steers in their natural environment.
- Prime Beef – Best photo of cooked or fresh Hereford beef suitable for any occasion.
- Why Hereford? – A video of you and /or your family talking about /promoting all things Hereford!
The rest is up to the entrant; feel free to use your imagination – have fun & act safely!
Maximum: 40 seconds duration
Upload video entry to your own YouTube channel and the link uploaded via the society’s entry page.
There will be one prize awarded to the winner of each of the seven categories. Winners can choose from:
- €200 SuperValu voucher or
- €200 Farm Wardrobe voucher or
- €300 Jeff Harvey Photography voucher -A one to one mentoring session on photography and using your camera from Jeff Harvey, along with a family /couple /children’s portrait captured by Jeff on the day at your house or on the farm.
The overall winner of the 2021 Hereford photo competition will receive a €500 cash prize.
The Irish Hereford Breed Society and the Irish Hereford Prime beef producer group would encourage all Hereford enthusiasts to take part and get involved.
“This is a great opportunity for people of all ages to get out with their phones and cameras and get creative.”
Tips from Jeff Harvey
Tennyson Egar of Irish Hereford Prime said:
“We would encourage people of all ages to get out and enjoy photographing their animals and to also have a go at the video or prime beef categories when there are significant prizes to be won.”
The Hereford groups have developed a photography tutorial video with a professional photographer, Jeff Harvey.
This short video gives a “few simple but effective” tips that everyone will find useful. You can access this available via irishhereford.com and irishherefordprime.com.
Judging process and public vote
The closing date for entries is midnight on August 20th, 2021.
An independent judge will shortlist the entries. These shortlisted photos will be available for the public to vote online from Thursday, August 26th, 2021.
You can find full terms and conditions on both websites: irishhereford.com and irishherefordprime.com.
“All entries will be judged primarily on the photo quality and not just the cattle.”
You can send any further queries by e-mail to [email protected] or [email protected]
Alternatively, please phone (044) 9348855 or (083) 8168824.