Kilkenny Mart report – calf prices – 30-03-2021
Just over 500 lots went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart’s calf sale on Tuesday, March 30th, 2021.
George Candler, the mart’s auctioneer, reported that continental bulls peaked at €405/head, while continental heifers followed at €400/head.
“An excellent trade for calves, which resulted in a 99% clearance. Exporters showing a bit more interest but farmers still the main customers.” Candler commented.
Kilkenny Mart calf prices 30-03-2021 – Summary:
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €70-€195/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €20-€60/head;
- Continental bulls – €180-€405/head;
- Continental heifers – €140-€400/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €100-€340/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €80-€330/head.
Calf prices – 23-03-2021
Some 600 calves went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021, according to George Candler.
He reported that a good trade for all lots resulted in a full clearance with a top call of €460/head for a Charolais bull.
He noted that Friesian bulls sold to €200/head, while Aberdeen-Angus-types and Herefords peaked at €300/head.
“Farmers were the main customers with exporters more active compared to last week.”
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €80-€200/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €25-€70/head;
- Continental bulls – €200-€460/head;
- Continental heifers – €150-€410/head;
- Aberdeen-Angus/Hereford bulls – €120-€300/head;
- Aberdeen-Angus/Hereford heifers – €100-€300/head.
Sheep prices – 29-03-2021:
Over 300 sheep went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Monday, March 29th, 2021, according to George Candler.
The mart’s auctioneer reported a “record-breaking day for spring lambs” with a top call of €211. Furthermore, he noted that hoggets peaked at €178, while cull ewes sold to €163. “Perhaps, the sheep farmer will be able to take a holiday later in the year, ” George commented.
- Butcher hoggets – €2.75-3.52/kg or €165-€178/head;
- Factory hoggets – €3.00-€3.45/kg or €135-€162/head;
- Spring lambs – €4.25/kg-€4.91/kg or €165-€211/head;
- Cull ewes – €70-€163/head.
Upcoming sales (online-only due to Covid-19 restrictions):
- Sheep sale – Mondays at 10 am with dairy sale at 12 pm
- Calf sale – Tuesdays at 11 am.
- Cattle sale – Thursday – Cows at 10 am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30 am.
Mart reports – cattle and sheep prices:
You can see more livestock mart reports here.