Kilkenny Mart – calf prices – 08-02-2022
According to George Candler, some 350 calves turned out for Kilkenny Mart’s sale on Tuesday, February 8th, 2022.
The mart’s auctioneer reported that a larger entry went under the hammer at this week’s sale.
He added that a “good” trade prevailed for quality bulls and heifers.
“Lesser-quality Friesian bulls were most difficult to sell. This was not helped by the fact that calf exporters have not started to operate as of yet,” Candler added.
2022 calf prices:
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €80-€190/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €20-€70/head;
- Continental bulls – €180-€400/head;
- Continental heifers – €120-€370/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €150-€330/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €120-€280/head.
Last week’s cattle sale
The mart’s auctioneer reported that “another good yard of cattle met with a magnificent trade all-round for all-types”.
The top price on the day was €2,640 for an 880kg heifer.
“Bullocks met a fast selling trade with all prices up by €15-€40/head compared to last week’s levels. The 230 cull cows on offer saw continentals sell to a top of €2.49/kg with Friesians peaking at €2.06/kg.”
- Bullocks 600kgs+ – €1.85-€2.83/kg or €1,410-€2,180 (average: €2.51/kg);
- 500-600kgs – €2.04-€2.91/kg or €1,030-€1,700/head (average: €2.30/kg);
- 400-500kgs – €1.80-3.02/kg or €800-€1,380/head (average: €2.35/kg);
- <400kgs – €1.70-€3.11/kg or €530-€1,140/head (average: €2.40/kg);
- Friesian culls – €1.20-€2.06/kg;
- Continental culls – €1.50-€2.49/kg.
- Beef heifers – €2.40-€3.00/kg or €1,400-€2,640/head;
- Forward store heifers – €2.15-€2.79/kg or €1,050-€1,560/head (average: €2.35/kg);
- Light store heifers – €2.00-€3.04/kg or €650-€1,140/head (Average: €2.40/kg).
Kilkenny Mart information:
- Address: Kilkenny Co-Operative Livestock Market LTD, Cillin Hill, Dublin Road, Co. Kilkenny
- Contact details: [email protected] or phone: 056-7721407 or see the mart’s website.
- Sheep and calf sale – Mondays at 10 am with a dairy sale at 12 pm
- Cattle sale – Thursday – Cows at 10 am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30 am.
Mart reports – cattle and sheep prices:
See more mart reports.