Tuam Mart – cattle prices – 27-09-2021
According to Marion Devane, a “tremendous yard of stock” turned out for Tuam Mart’s annual cattle show and sale on Monday, September 27th, 2021.
She reported that “an excellent trade” prevailed and “it was not rare to see cow prices surpass €2.20/kg”.
“Many thanks to all our sponsors who continue to support us year on year,” Devane added.
Tuam Mart 27-09-2021:
Cull cow prices:
1st-prize for the best cow in the yard, sponsored by That’s Farming’s sister company, Corrib Oil, went to Norman Connolly for a phenomenal BB cow, weighing 875 kg, making €2,600 (€2.97/kg).
- A 1080 kg BBX by a Cloonkeely farmer made €2520 (€2.33/kg);
- 935 kg CHX by a Currandulla farmer sold for €1270 (€2.32/kg);
- 670 kg AU cow by a Dunmore farmer hit €1580 (€2.36/kg);
- 1005 kg AAX cow by a Dunmore farmer climbed to €2360 (€2.35/kg)
- 690 kg LM cow by a Ballyglunin farmer sold at €1550 (€2.25/kg);
The mart manager reported that “super continental-type heifers were on offer, with phenomenal prices achieved.”
The best heifer in the yard sponsored by AIB Tuam:
- 1st-prize: Noel Sice, Kilmore for his 595 kg LMX heifer – €2460 (€4.13/kg);
- 2nd prize: Seamus Hession, Gortbeg for his 740kg LM heifer – €2,070 (€2.80/kg).
The best pair of heifers, sponsored by the IFA, went to JJ Walsh of Gardenfield, 612 kg €1,780 (€2.91/kg)
- 440 kg CHX by a Ballyglunin farmer – €1100 (2.50/kg);
- 465 kg CHX by a Castlerea farmer – €1380 (€2.97/kg);
- A pair of 467 kg CHX by a Cahergal farmer – €1470 (€3.15/kg);
- 575 kg BBX by a Milltown farmer – €1600 (€2.78/kg);
- 537 kg CHX by a Gardenfield farmer – €1580 (€2.94/kg);
- 555 kg LM by a Lavally farmer – €1460 (€2.63/kg);
- 690 kg CHX by an Abbeyknockmoy farmer – €1780 (€2.58/kg).
Tuam-Mart-27-09-2021: Bullock prices
According to Devane, the bullock trade was “also on fire”.
Dermott Duffy Memorial Cup for the best continental bullock in the yard:
- 1st: Michael Fahy, Caherlistrane;
- 2nd: Cathy Quinn, Milltown with a 685 kg CHX at €1750 (€2.55/kg).
JFC Cup for the best group of 3 continental bullocks:
- 1st: JJ Walsh with CHX bullocks weighing 646 kg – €1750 (€2.71/kg);
- 2nd prize: Eamonn Burke of Marley with his 3 LMX weighing 765 kg – €2020 (€2.64/kg).
3 non-continental bullock class sponsored by Zurich Insurance:
- John Joyce of Dunmore, with 551 kg entries – €1190 (€2.16/kg).
Jimmy Gleeson Memorial Cup for the best non-continental bullock:
- Joseph Mullin, Derreen for his 460 kg HEX – €1000.
- 495 kg CHX by a Kilkerrin farmer -€1330 (€2.69/kg);
- A pair of 470 kg CHX by a Tuam farmer – €1290 (€2.74/kg);
- 490 kg SIX by a Ballinasloe farmer – €1370 (€2.80/kg);
- 535 kg CHX – €1600 (€2.99/kg);
- 765 kg LMX by a Tuam farmer – €2020 (€2.64/kg);
- 800 kg LMX by a Cummer farmer – €2000 (€2.50/kg).
Devane reported that a smaller number of weanlings were presented for sale on Monday with many farmers “waiting” for the mart’s special sale for Charolais weanlings next Monday.
Weanlings heifers made up to €1130 for a 315 kg CHX (€3.56/kg):
- 365 kg LMX by a Claremorris farmer – €1090 (€2.99/kg);
- 345 kg LMX kg by a Tuam farmer – €1000 (€2.75/kg);
- 300 kg LMX by an Abbeyknockmoy farmer – €910 (€3.03/kg).
Weanling bull prices:
- 390 kg CHX by a Claremorris farmer – €1050 (€3.04/kg);
- 355 kg CHX by – €1090 (€3.07/kg);
- 355 kg BBX by a Barnaderg farmer – €1100 (€3.10/kg).
Read a report from last week’s sale, which saw prices soar to €2,730.
- Address: Church View, Corralea West, Tuam
- County: Galway
- Phone: 093-24353
Upcoming sales at Tuam Mart:
- Cattle sales every Monday;
- Sheep sales every Tuesday. Intake from 12 pm to 3 pm. Breeding ewes and hogget at 4:30 pm in ring 1 and lamb sale on the plank at 5 pm.
- Next Charolais evening weanling sale: October 4th;
- October 11th; Next Limousin evening weanling sale. A special ICBF 4/5-star heifer sale in conjunction with the general sale.
To include your reports, email – firstname.lastname@example.org