Tuam Mart report – cattle prices – 09-08-2021
According to Marion Devane, a “large” entry of cattle met with a “lively” trade at Tuam Mart on Monday, August 9th, 2021.
The mart manager reported that a “brisk cow trade was clear”.
Tuam Mart 09-08-2021: Cull cows
“The average price per kilo for cows was €2.00. Cull dairy stock averaged at approximately €1.68/kg.”
“Top price paid for cows and calves was a team by a Horselap farmer making €2000.”
- A LMX cow by a Dunmore farmer weighing 630kg made €1590 – €2.52/kg.
- Another LMX cow by a Tuam farmer weighing 595 kg sold for €1440 – €2.42/kg;
- A cow, 930 kg, made the top price of €2,030 – €2.18/kg.
“A strong trade for heifers with lively in house bidding and online activity from buyers .”
- The top price was paid for heifers up to 300 kg was for PTX heifer by a Lavally farmer weighing 290kgs, €780 – €2.69/kg;
- Prices averaged at €2.36/kg for heifers in this category;
- A LM heifer by a Barnaderg farmer weighing 350 kg made €1,000.
- Also, a 425 kg LMX by a Glenamaddy farmer sold for €1120 – €2.65/kg;
- A CHX heifer by a Tuam farmer, 600 kg, pushed up to €1500 – €2.50/kg;
- Also, a 585kg LM heifer by a Claremorris farmer realised €1470 – €2.51/kg;
- AAX heifers ranged from €2/kg to €2.37/kg.
A small number of weanlings were on offer:
- €820 for a 295 kg LMX heifer by an Athenry farmer – €2.87/kg;
- €750 for a 265 kg LMX heifer by Tuam farmer – €2.83/kg.
- €660 for a 235kg LMX weanling bull.
Devane reported a “lively” trade for bullocks.
- A LMX bullock by a Tuam Farmer weighing 340 kg made €960 – €2.82/kg;
- Also, a 350 kg SIX bullock also by a Tuam farmer fetched €870 €2.49/kg;
- The top price per kilo was for a 435 kg LMX bullock by a Ballinasloe farmer, at €1350 – €3.10/kg;
- A LMX bullock weighing 490 kg made €1210 – €2.47/kg;
- A 755 kg AAX bullock by a Dunmore farmer changed hands for €1,900 €2.52/kg;
- Top price for bullocks over 700 kg was for a LMX weighing 710kg at €1930 – €2.72/kg.
Sheep sale 10-08-2021
According to Devane, over 1,200 entries were on offer at Tuam Mart’s sheep sale on August 10th, 2021.
“The lamb trade was strong with prices averaging at €2.80/kg. Strong demand by farmers for ewe lambs with presentation having a large bearing on attaining a premium price.”
“Top price paid was €165 for 54.5 kg Suffolk-cross ewe lambs. A large number of store lambs were also on offer with a strong market to meet the supply.”
- 28 kg lambs by a Headford farmer making €78 – €2.79/kg
- 36 kg lambs by a Dunmore farmer making €97 – €2.96/kg
- 5 kg lambs by a Currandulla farmer making €108 – €2.81/kg
- 44 kg lambs by a Barnaderg farmer making €122 – €2.77/kg
- 7 kg lambs by a Corofin farmer making €130 – €2.87/kg
- 5 kg lambs by a Claregalway farmer making €128 – €2.64/kg
Sample ewe lamb prices:
- 44 kg lambs by a Headford farmer making €145 – €3.30/kg
- 7 kg lambs by a Tuam farmer making €154 -€3.16/kg
Hoggets and cull ewes:
“Turn out of hoggets was relatively small, with most farmers holding until show day August 24th.”
“Hoggets made from €160 to €202. Likewise, with breeding ewes, prices ranged from €145 to €170. Cull ewe trade remains very strong with the top price paid for €208 for 94.5 kg ewes.”
- Address: Church View, Corralea West, Tuam
- County: Galway
- Phone: 093-24353
Upcoming sales at Tuam Mart:
- Special show and sale of weanlings: Monday, August 16th at 6 p.m;
- Annual sheep show and sale: August 24th – Booking required.
Read more mart reports.