Raphoe Mart – Cattle Prices – 03-11-2022
According to Ann Harkin, there was “another great” entry of cattle at its weekly cattle sale at Raphoe Mart, Co Donegal, on Thursday, November 3rd, 2022.
The mart manager reported that trade was “particularly brisk” for quality cattle, which changed hands from €2.60/kg to €3.20/kg, and on occasions, up to €4.00/kg for lighter lots.
Harkin explained that plainer cattle fetched from €2.10/kg-€2.40/kg at Thursday’s sale.
Aberdeen Angus cattle made from €2.20/kg to €2.70/kg, while Friesian cattle ranged from €1.50/kg to €2.00/kg.
Raphoe Mart 03-11-2022
- Bulls over 600kgs – €650 to €930 over the weight;
- Store bullocks – €400 to €955 over the weight;
- Beef heifers – €500 to €1245 over the weight;
- Store heifers – €350 to €885 over the weight.
- Bulls/bullocks made from €2.20/kg to €3.20/kg;
- Heifers ranged from €2.30/kg to €4.00/kg;
- Fat cows sold from €750/head to €1580/head.
This week’s sheep prices
According to Harkin, there was a larger entry of sheep for this week’s sale, which saw a “brisk” trade around the ring and online.
At Monday’s sale, fat ewes went under the hammer from €50-€208/head, while lambs peaked at €140.
- €70 to €90 for 28-33kgs;
- €90 to €110 for 34-40kgs;
- €110 to €130 for 41-46kgs;
- €130 to €140 for 47-55kgs.
Interview with Ann Harkin
Ann Harkin from Convoy, County Donegal, never envisioned a career in agriculture with no farming background until the late 1980s.
In 1989, she applied for Raphoe Livestock Mart’s secretary job and became manager in 2001 due to the late John Witherow’s tendering.
“I never was in a mart until the day I did the interview; it was a secretary and financial controller position, which I applied for as my career; it was not because of a love of farming,” she told That’s Farming.
“I never thought I would become a manager; it was the trust of the committee and the mart shareholders who had confidence in me. It was never a job in my wildest dreams did I think I would get because I was not from a farming background.”
Read more on this interview.
- Address: Raphoe Livestock Mart, County Donegal.
- Contact: 074 914 5385
- Sale days: Sheep sale – Mondays at 11 am. Cattle sale – Thursdays at 11 am.
You can find more mart reports.