Raphoe Mart – Cattle Prices – 01-09-2022
The mart manager reported that another “great” entry came under the hammer at the mart’s general weekly cattle sale.
She said that forward cattle were “highly sought” after, with males selling to €1445 over the weight and heifers topping out at €1320 over.
Meanwhile, medium weights were “also in demand” amongst buyers, with quality lots from €2.70/kg to €3.40/kg.
Raphoe Mart 01-09-2022:
- Beef heifers – €690 to €1320 over;
- Store heifers – €350 to €1090 over;
- Bulls over 600 kgs – €515 to €1445 over;
- Beef bullocks – €1160 to €1175 over;
- Store bullocks – €240 to €1075 over.
- Bulls/bullocks fetched from €2.40/kg to €3.40/kg;
- Heifers went under the hammer from €2.50/kg to €3.40/kg;
- Fat cows sold from €700/head to €2080/head;
- FR cattle ranged from €1.80/kg to €2.20/kg;
- AA cattle varied from €2.20/kg to €2.80/kg.
- Address: Raphoe Livestock Mart, County Donegal.
- Contact: 074 914 5385
- Sale days: Sheep sale – Mondays at 11 am. Cattle sale – Thursdays at 11 am.
You can find more mart reports.
To include your report, email our editor, Catherina Cunnane at [email protected].
Interview with Ann Harkin:
As part of this a recent Mart Focus article, That’s Farming profiled Ann Harkin, a former bookkeeper, financial controller and current manager of Raphoe Livestock Mart.
Ann Harkin from Convoy, County Donegal, never envisioned a career in agriculture with no farming background until the late 1980s.
In 1989, she applied for Raphoe Livestock Mart’s secretary job and became manager in 2001 due to the late John Witherow’s tendering.
“I never was in a mart until the day I did the interview; it was a secretary and financial controller position, which I applied for as my career; it was not because of a love of farming,” she told That’s Farming.
“I never thought I would become a manager; it was the trust of the committee and the mart shareholders who had confidence in me. It was never a job in my wildest dreams did I think I would get because I was not from a farming background.”