Maps Temptations: Report
Prices topped at 8,000gns at the Maps Temptations Elite Production Sale, which Mark Phillips held in conjunction with H& H and MartEye from Friday, September 2nd to Monday, September 4th, 2022.
Leading the charge at the sale was lot 8, which included Maps Tanya, Maps Tina and a Simmental-cross recip named Chocolate, which the breeder described as a “great starter package”.
Tina and Tanya are by the Ampertaine Foreman and out of Homebyres Gina, a Homebyres Vanhee daughter going back to Broadmeadows Dainsi, Cannon’s full sister.
According to the breeder, the twins have “great style and presence, so well balanced and have plenty of shape”.
Their dam, Chocolate, is the “perfect recip”, being fertile, easy calving, milky and very docile. She was implanted with a MustHave x Ampertaine Elgin/Carrickmore Maximus embryo on July 28th, 2022.
The breeder remarked: “This represents a great chance to acquire must-have genetics alongside two wonderful Foreman heifer calves.”
The next highest-priced lot was number 6, Maps Sabelle, an October-2021-born heifer at 7,200gns.
Sabelle – who carries an NT and Q gene – is by Trueman Idol and Millburn Isabelle, one of the herd’s “top” females.
The breeder said that this lot is “a little bit special, as, as soon as she hit the ground, we knew she was going to be a good one”.
“She has never failed to please and is made ring, being wide and square with hips and plates to die for. She has great style and presence and is one for the show circuit”.
Third on the price list at 6,700gns was lot 14, the June-2020-born Procters Rowen, who is scanned in-calf to Brackan Rocky Road and was seen served on May 31st, 2022.
The female by Haltcliffe Orator and out of Foreman-sired Procters Nawn is what was described in the sales catalogue as a “tremendous” female that the herd exhibited as part of its 2022 show team.
She “always picked up a picket” and scooped the reserve breed championship at Lincolnshire Show.
At 5,700gns was lot 9, April-2022-born Maps Temptation, a full sibling to the aforementioned twins, which sold with her recip, a pedigree Simmental named Mixbury Hall.
The breeder said: “Temptation is the girl that the sale is named after, so she must be good. With shape and style in abundance, she has a great future in the show ring and as a breeding cow.”
A number of lots hit the 4,000gns mark and first up was lot 1, Brackan Rockyroad, a February-2020-born bull by Derrygullinane Kingbull and a Sympa dam going back to Newtown Trixie and Wilodge Cerberus.
The seller said Rockroad was selected from Ireland based on his confirmation, style, and pedigree. He ran with pedigree Limousin cows and former recips earlier this summer, the seller added.
The next lot, Millerston Irania Poppy, an April-2020-born Beef Shorthorn AI’d on July 22nd, 2022, to Elliots Salute, was next to change hands at the four-figure sum.
Lot number 2 hails from the same dam line as the 17,000gns Irania Linnet and is a maternal sister to the 9,000gns Irania Molly.
The seller said: “Poppy was selected to start a Beef Shorthorn herd from top genetics. We have thoroughly enjoyed having Polly, but have reluctantly decided to concentrate on Limousins.”
“She is a powerful heifer, with a great topline and legs. She is going to make a great cow,” the seller added.
Lot 11, Maps TheOnetoHave, was next in line with his recip pedigree Simmental, Mixbury Hall Lilian. The April-2022-born bull calf is from the €16,000 Millburn MustHave, by Guards Boomer, carrying an NT and F94L gene.
The “long, clean muscled” calf is “well put together, has a delightful temperament and is sure to breed show calves”.
Other cattle prices:
- 7: Maps ToHave – Feb-2022-born heifer from the €16,000 Millburn MustHave and Derrygullinane Kingbull – 3,900gns;
- 10: Maps Tiesto – January-2022-born bull calf with pedigree Simental recip, Oatridge Judy. Out of Millburn MustHave and Ampertaine Foreman. Carries double Q genes and is the first bull calf to be offered for sale from Millburn MustHave – 3,900gns;
- 15: Mixbury Hall Lavinia (pedigree Simmental) by Tilbrook Frank and Limousin-cross heifer calf at foot. Implanted with a Millburn MustHave x Ampertaine Elgin/Carrickmore Maximum embryo on July 28th, 2022 – 3,600gns;
- 4: Woodroad Nora by Gerrygullinane Glen, out of an Ideal 23 cow and bull calf at foot, Maps Thor, an Ampertaine Foreman son, Woodmarsh Paramount. Ran with Brackan Rockyorad from June 12th and seen served on July 6th, 2022 – 3,500gns;
- Oatridge Julie, a pedigree Simmental, with a Limousin-cross heifer calf at foot, by Brackan RockyRoad. Ran with the same bull from August 1st, 2022, and was seen served on August 8th, 2022 – 2,000gns.
Semen (sold per unit):
- 1 Goldies Fandango – 170gns;
- 3 Objat – 190gns;
- 3 Huntershall Nutcracker – 60gns;
- 3 Foxhillfarm Ourbest – 160gns.
Embryos (sold per embryo)
- 2 grade 1 IVF embryos from Homebyres Frillie X Heros – 700gns;
- 2 grade 1 embryos from Millburn Musthave – 740gns;
- 2 grade 1 embryos from Millburn Musthave sold in aid of charity – 750gns.
Other articles on That’s Farming: