Kilkenny Mart calf prices April 2021
Some 550 entries went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Tuesday, April 13th, 2021, according to George Candler.
The mart’s auctioneer reported a “good, steady trade for all calves” with a top call of €410 for a two-month-old Simmental.
“Quality not as good as other weeks with not as many farmer buyers operating but exporters more anxious to secure stock,” Candler commented.
Summary – Kilkenny calf prices April 2021
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €30-€75/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €80-€170/head;
- Continental bulls – €80-€170;
- Continental heifers – €130-€320;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €120-€320/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €100-€280/head;
- Friesian bulls (November and December-2020-born) – €305-€350/head.
Sheep prices 12-04-2021
He reported that hoggets sold “well”, while the lamb trade prover easier.
“A bigger sale of sheep compared to last week with trade easier by €5 to €8 for spring lambs with a top call of €188 for 49 kilos. Heavy hoggets of 61 kilos to €190. Cull ewes peaked at €180.”
- Spring lambs – €3.30-€3.60/kg or €135-€182/head:
- Butcher hoggets – €3.00-3.32/kg or €128-€181/head:
- Cast ewes – €50-€180/head.
Kilkenny Mart – 08-04-2021
The mart’s auctioneer reported that all cattle met a “good selling” trade with heavier types showing an improvement compared to the previous week.
“A slight easing for the lighter types but forward stores and beef types sold very well. Bullocks peaked at €1,880 with beef heifers to a top call of €1,510. A cull cow weighing 890kgs made €1,920.”
Bullocks – €2.00-€2.50/kg or €1,180-€1,880/head:
- 500-600kgs (bullocks) – €1.90-€2.55/kg or €1,050-€1,510/head:
- 400-500kgs (bullocks) – €1.70-€2.47/kg or €700-€1,200/head:
- <400kgs (bullocks) – €1.70-€2.65/kg or €490-€1,010/head:
- Beef-type heifers – €2.00-€2.40/kg or €1,100-€1,510/head:
- Forward store heifers – €2.00-€2.45/kg or €820-€1,190/head:
- Store heifers – €1.90-€2.73/kg or €480-€1,000/head;
- Friesian cull cows – €1.17-€1.81/head;
- Continental cull cows – €1.40-€2.16/kg.
Upcoming sales (online-only due to Covid-19 restrictions):
- Address: Cillin Hill, Dublin Road, Kilkenny
- Sheep sale – Mondays at 10 am with a dairy sale at 12 pm
- Calf sale – Tuesdays at 11 am.
- Cattle sale – Thursday – Cows at 10 am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30 am.
Mart reports – cattle and sheep prices:
You can see more livestock mart reports here.