The Dalton family will host their annual in-calf heifer sale at Balla Mart, Co Mayo, this Saturday (October 30th, 2021).
15 “exceptional” hand-picked continental-bred females will come under the hammer.
The Claremorris-based farm will offer a selection of docile Limousin-cross, Charolais-cross and Simmental-cross heifers – with style, width, power and maternal traits – for sale.
All heifers are AI’d to easy-calving, short gestation Limousin sires, Knell and ZAG. They are scanned in-calf and due from November onwards. Also, they are vaccinated for BVD and Lepto.
In-calf heifer sale at Balla Mart
Some photos and videos of lots:
[Heifer featured as main image]
[Due December 8th to Knell]
Due December 28th to ZAG
[LMX due December 5th to Knell]
Viewing and bidding
You can view this special entry of heifers in the mart before the sale.
On Saturday afternoon, the heifers will be sold in ring 3 after cull cows and stock bulls (approximately selling time to be confirmed).
In-person bidding at the ringside and online – contact Balla Mart to approve your application if you wish to bid virtually.
Cull cows to €3,070 and heifers to €3,400
A dry cow set what is understood to be a new centre record when she changed hands for €3,070 at Balla Mart on Saturday, October 23rd, 2021.
According to the seller, the pedigree-registered Belgian Blue cow, Boherard KitKat, was scanned suitable for breeding, having been flushed earlier this year.
The seller claimed that the 2016-born Sauveur de Monin Chapelle daughter has bred commercial calves to over €4,000.
Meanwhile, the €3,000 mark was also breached on more than one occasion in the heifer ring. The sale-topper in ring two came in the form of a Belgian Blue-cross heifer weighing 695kgs at €3,400.
Furthermore, in the springers, a top call of €2,460 was recorded for a 30-month-old Limousin, weighing 730kgs, due in January.
Balla Mart information:
- Address: Aurivo Balla Mart, Carrowntober, Oughter, Co. Mayo
- Contact information:Phone: 094-9365068 or see Aurivo’s website.
- Sale days:Weanlings: Tuesdays. Bullocks, heifers, cull cows, sucklers, and stock bulls on Saturdays with rings as follows:
- 1:Bullocks at 10:30 am Saturday ringside and online.
- 2:Heifers at 10:30 am Saturday ringside and online
- 3:Dry Cows/breeding bulls & springers at 10:45 am/11 am ringside and online.
Tuesday weanling sales:
- Ring 1: Bull weanlings at 10:30 am Tuesday ringside and online.
- Ring 2: Heifer weanlings at 10:45 am Tuesday ringside and online.
- Intake time 07:00 am to 09:30 am on Saturdays. 08:00 am to 09:30 am on Tuesdays.
Read more mart reports (cattle and sheep prices) on That’s Farming.