Hereford bulls to €4,700 at Nenagh
Hereford bulls were in “hot demand” at the society’s most recent sale in Nenagh Mart, as prices reached €4,700 and returns levelled at €3,200.
According to a spokesperson for the Irish Hereford Breed Society, the average price was €300 above that of the corresponding sale in 2021.
Top of the town at €4,700 from Noel Farrell of Brocca Herefords, Westmeath was Brocca Leo, by Allowdale Rambo 738 and a Cill Cormaic Kasper dam.
The bull has a five-star replacement index along with five stars for milk, calving interval, and good figures for calving ease.
The next best at €3,650 was Skehanore Gifted, a June-2020-born bull from Tom & Paddy Hickey, Cork. Gifted is by Free Town Peerless, National Hereford Champion 2021, and a Balleen Plomber dam.
The bull has five stars for terminal index and carcase weight, and easy calving figures.
Meanwhile, at €3,400 was November-2020-born Ballinveney Dougal, bred by Rory Farrell, Tipperary.
Dougal, sired by Karoonda Sampson, one of the IHBS Breed Improvement sires and bred from a GH Adams 1 Bulge dam, has a four-star terminal index.
At the same price tag was Mountwilliams Octavius, the entry that Mr. Cathal Flynn of Rossmore Herefords, Monaghan, tapped out as reserve champion.
This November-2020 bull from Aidan Farrell, Co. Westmeath is by Butlerstown Duke and bred from a Churchill Storm dam. He has four stars for both the terminal and the replacement index.
Meanwhile, the May-2020-born Simonstown 1 Bruce, bred by Gabriel Glynn, Westmeath, went under the hammer at €3,300.
By Black Water Master and bred from Grousehallpoll 1 Premier dam, he has a five-star terminal index figure and five stars across the terminal index board for weight and conformation also.
- Kye Ranger 920 from Padraig McGrath, Roscommon: €3,250;
- Glaslough Vauxhall from Nigel Heatrick, Monaghan: €3,200
- Glosterbegpoll 1 Romeo from Davina Lewis, Offaly: €3,200;
- Glosterbegpoll 1 Oscar from Davia Lewis, Offaly: €3,200.
- Newland Dale, bred by Hugh P Murray, Westmeath: €3200;
- Ardmulchan Sydney from Phil and Catherine Smyth, Meath: €3,000;
- Mountwilliams Oscar Wild from Aidan Farrell of Mountwilliams Herefords: €3,000;
- Ballinalick Rory from Willie Duff: €3,000.
Other news articles on That’s Farming:
Read a report on the society’s sale at Kilmallock