Carnew Mart held its 40th annual fatstock show and sale on Saturday, January 23rd, 2021.
The sale attracted over 400 beef cattle, 300 stores and 200 bulls, according to mart manager, David Quinn.
Speaking after the fatstock sale in Carnew, he said: “Despite the cold, lockdown and all online we had a tremendous success with a huge show of top-quality cattle. Beef was an exceptional trade with strong local, northern and exporter.”
Owen O’Neill, Co. Carlow owned the champion bullock of the sale. The Charolais-cross, as previously seen on The Late Late Show, weighed 1,052kgs and sold for €2,900.
€3,000 Late Late Show bullock
Roy, the bullock which appeared on The Late Late Show placed second in his class. Owner, Derry Rothwell, secured €3,000 for this 984kg CHX entry.
In general, beef cattle sold from €1,700 – €2,200 or €2.20 – €2.70/kg, according to Quinn.
“Store cattle were a very good trade with big interest from both local farmers and northern buyers. Weanling bulls saw a big demand from exporters, especially for good quality Belgian Blue bulls. Belgian Blues sold to €1,600 and many made €3.00/kg. Feeder bulls sold from €2.15 – €2.30/kg.”
- Thursday Ring 1 – Sheep Sale commencing at 10:00am ringside and online.
- Friday Ring 1 – Dry Cows commencing at 4.00pm
- Saturday Ring 1 – Dry Cow commencing at 9.30am, Cattle Sale commencing at 10.30am ringside and online.
- Saturday Ring 2 – Calves Sale commencing at 11.00am ringside and online.
Up-coming sales at Carnew Mart
- Thursday, January 28th – Clearance sale of 200 ewes at 00 noon.
- Friday, January 29th – suckler sale at 2.30pm followed by show/beef cows &dry cow sale at 4.00pm;
- Saturday, January 30th – Show and sale of heifers.
Mart day information:
Cattle may be pre-entered by contacting the office on the week prior to sale day or you can enter by using the mart’s online entry system on its website.
- Cattle taken in from 7.00am
- Calf collection service available
- If you have any queries, contact the office: Tel: 053 94 26234 or Mob: 087 7469999
- For more information, see here.