Carnew Mart – Cattle Prices – 04-02-2023 – Annual Fatstock Show and Sale of Heifers
According to David Quinn, some 1,250 cattle turned out to form an “outstanding” yard of cattle at Carnew Mart’s general cattle sale on Saturday, February 4th, 2023, which it held in conjunction with its annual fatstock show and sale of heifers.
The mart manager reported that “the atmosphere was electric around the ring” at its most recent sale.
He commented: “Buyers from all parts of the country having to go the extra mile to get good quality stock that there was huge demand for.”
The champion of the day took the form of a BBX, weighing 818kg at €3,610, property of Pat Murray, Pallas.
Carnew Mart 04-02-2023: Prize Winners
1: Best butcher heifer
- 1st: R&R Warren: BBX – 535KG at €4000;
- 2nd: R&R Warren: BBX – 704kg at €2600;
- 3rd: Paddy Murphy: BBX – 714kg at €2460.
2: Best cont butcher heifers
- 1st: Pat Murray: 2 BBX – 698kg at €2600
3: Best breeding heifer
- 1st: Patrick Fortune: LMX – 678kg at €3350;
- 2nd: Michael Barron: LMX – 608kg at €1980;
- 3rd: Shay Hayden: LMX – 466kg at €2400.
4: Best 2 or more non-cont butcher type heifers
- 1st: James Graham: 3 HEX -502kg at €1400;
- 2nd: Rbt Bradshaw: 2 HEX -574kg at €1520;
- 3rd: James Graham: 4 HEX -509kg at €1350.
5: Best cont factory type heifer
- 1st: Pat Murray: BBX – 818kg at €3610;
- 2nd: Warren Stephens: LM – 754kg at €2760;
- 3rd: John Kelly Jnr: BB – 690kg at €2880.
6: Best group of 2 or more factory type heifers
- 1st: Trevor Jackson: 1 CHX – 685kg at €2000;
- 2nd: Trevor Jackson: 2 CH – 592kga t €1740;
- 3rd: Trevor Jackson: 3 LM – 626kg at €1870.
7: Best group of 2 or more store heifers
- 1st: Pat Finnerty: 2 LM – 582kg at €1700;
- 2nd: Pat Finnerty: 2 LMX – 498kg at €1500;
- 3rd: Sean Kane: 2 CH – 482kg at €1470.
8: best weanling/store heifer under 500kg
- 1st: Owen O Neill: BBX – 474kg at €1720;
- 2nd: Eamon Coleman: BBX – 426kg at €1620;
- 3rd: Owen O Neill: BBX – 408kg at €1920.
- Cont beef/forward – €1850-€3610;
- Cont stores – €1220-€2100;
- Heavy AA/HE – €1350-€2200;
- Store AA/HE – €850-€1560;
- Breeding heifers – €1600-€4200.
- Thursday Ring 1– Sheep sale commencing at 10:00am ringside and online.
- Friday Ring 1– Dry cows commencing at 4.00pm – depending on time of year
- Saturday Ring 1– Dry cows commencing at 9.30am. Other categories commencing at 10.30am ringside and online.
- Saturday Ring 2– Calf sale commencing at 11.00am ringside and online
Mart day information:
- Cattle may be pre-entered by contacting the office on the week prior to sale day or you can enter by using the mart’s online entry system on its website.
- Cattle taken in from 7.00am
- Calf collection service available
- If you have any queries, contact the office: 34 Main Street, Carnew, Co. Wicklow: Tel: 053 94 26234 or Mob: 087 7469999
- View other mart reports
To feature your reports, contact Catherina Cunnane, email – [email protected]