Ballinrobe Mart – Cattle Prices – 01-03-2023
According to Aurivo Ballinrobe Mart’s recently appointed assistant manager, Teresa Gibsey, its most recent cattle saw on Wednesday, March 1st, saw a “steady” entry with prices to €2,220/head.
Prices in the cull cow ring ranged from €550 to €2,200, a top call which was recorded for a 740kg LMX from a farmer in Kilglasson, Roundfort.
Other sample prices included:
- CHX, 645KG, €1,880, €2.91/KG;
- LMX, 750KG, €1,840, €2.45/KG;
- AAX, 685KG, €1730, €2.52/KG.
Bullock prices varied from €770 to €1,260 per head or €2.49 to €4.05 per kg, with an average for bullocks in the 400kg to 500kg weight bracket coming in at €2.59/kg.
Top price on the day went to a LM, 465kg, €1,260 from a farmer in Liscarney, Westport.
Other prices on the day included:
- LMX, 400KG, €1,180, €2.95/KG;
- LMX, 370KG, €1,220, €3.29/KG;
- CHX, 190KG, €770, €4.05/KG;
- CHX, 370KG, 1,130, €3.05/KG.
Heifers met with what Gibsey described as a “firm” trade with returns from €810 to €1,960 per head or €2.41 to €4.47 per kg.
The average price for heifers approximately 400kg to 500kgs was €2.95/kg and the top price on the day went to a Carheens, Claremorris farmer with their AAX, 682kg, €1,960, at €2.87/kg.
- AAX, 608KG, €1,700, €2.79/KG;
- LMX, 485KG, €1,500, €3.09/KG;
- LMX, 450KG, €1,460, €3.24/KG;
- CH, 365KG, €1,330, €3.64/KG.
Meanwhile, in the weanling rings, bulls met with a “stable trade” as prices ranged from €550 to €1,330 per head or €2.03 to €3.97 per kg.
The top price of the day in this ring was recorded for a LMX, 430kg, €1,330, €3.09/kg from a farmer from Lehinch, Hollymount.
- LMX, 305KG, €1,210, €3.97/KG;
- LMX, 345KG, €1,200, €3.48/KG;
- AAX, 290KG, €1,040, €3.59/KG.
Weanling heifers changed hands from €450 to €1,090 per head or €2.45 to €4.47 per kg.
Weanling heifers 200kg to 300kg levelled at €3.20/kg with a Ballindine, Claremorris farmer pocketing the best price in this category – 340kg, €1,090, €3.20/kg.
- CHX, 270KG, €990, €3.66/KG.;
- CHX, 250KG, €940, €3.76/KG;
- CHX, 275KG, €990, €3.60/KG.
Sheep prices on 02-03-2023
Gibsey reported a “more positive outlook in the sheep sector this week with a good jump in entry numbers”.
She commented that “the sale was met with a good clearance, and there were even some ewes with lambs at foot, which fetched up to €280”.
“Lambs made from between €1.51/kg and €3.18/kg with an average across the board of €2.41/kg.”
“The average price per head was approximately €91 with a top price of €148 for 56kg ewe lambs at €2.64/kg.”
“Cull ewes made from €48 to €160 per head with an average of €81 paid per head. Ewes with lambs at foot ranged from €155 to €280,” she added:
- 5kg lambs, €120, €2.58/kg;
- 41kg ewe lambs, €118, €2.88/kg;
- 28kg ewe lambs, €89, €3.18/kg;
- 5kg ewe lambs, €102, €2.65/kg.
- Address: Aurivo Ballinrobe Mart, Claremorris Road, Ballinrobe, Co Mayo
- Sales: Weekly cattle sales on Wednesday at 11 am (subject to seasonal change) and weekly sheep sales on Thursdays
- Note: Pre-booking every Thursday and Friday from 9 am-1 pm for cattle sales.
- Contact details: Telephone: 094-9541140.
View more mart reports on That’s Farming.
- Spring show and sale on Wednesday, March 15th, 2023.